About Kaburaki[From the Time of Establishment to the Edo Period]
Kaburaki began in Kanazawa in 1822, during the reign of Ienari, the eleventh Tokugawa Shogun, as the first merchant house selling Kutani ware. At the time, the Kaga Domain wished to revive and popularize Kutani ware, and so this was just after a number of historically famous Kutani kilns, such as the Wakasugi and Ono kilns, had begun operations. Also, in 1824, the famous Yoshidaya yō (kiln) was opened by Denemon Toyoda.
Their shop, Kaburaki played a role during Kutani ware’s revival period by not only selling items from each of the kilns, but also by inviting porcelain artists to a workshop of their own and decorating the porcelain.
[From the Meiji Period to the Taisho Period]
Upon entering the Meiji Period, foreign exporting, which the fourth head of the family, Jihei, had been working toward since the final years of clan rule, was finally running smoothly. Also, accompanying increased domestic demand, a production system was established that could supply both satisfactory quality and volume. It is said that, in this period, foreign exporting reached full swing, and the Industrial Arts of Kutani were established. Their shop was active in displaying items in both domestic exhibitions and international exhibitions overseas, and Kaburaki-made Kutani received recognition and fame as first class products. The publication Kutani-yaki 330-nen (330 Years of Kutani Ware) describes Kaburaki-made items of the time as follows. “A back stamp reading ‘Kaburaki-made’ is placed on every item to show the conviction of the owner in his responsibility toward the products, and the attitude of only wanting to sell these superb products is likely what formed the basis of five generations of successful merchants.” Now, Kaburaki-made items from that time are in demand both domestically and overseas, and all those that they have on hand are on display in their shop gallery.
[From the Showa Period to the Present]
Upon entering the Showa period, foreign exporting came to an end, and they began to put more effort into domestic demand. We overcame the difficult periods before and after the war, and ever since, they have continued to supply people all throughout Japan with Kutani ware. Now, the store is in its eighth generation, and they will soon be celebrating their 200th anniversary. They are pouring their hearts and souls more than ever before into the founding spirit of “supplying customers all over the country with tasteful and superb Kutani ware."
|Artifact Name||Kutani-yaki : ware|
Kutani-yaki (ware) is said to have originated around the year 1655, the first year of the Meireki epoch, when high quality porcelain clay was found in the Kutani area of Yamanaka -machi in Ishikawa Prefecture.
Due to the discovery, Toshiharu Maeda, the first lord of the Daishoji Clan, sent a retainer, Saijiro Goto, to Arita Village in the Bizen region to learn how to make porcelain, and he later brought this knowledge back home. The items produced during this period are called Kokutani (Old Kutani). Ever since the 17th century, Kokutani has been highly valued as one of the most dignified, bold, and luxurious styles of decorated porcelain made in Japan, along with Kakiemon, Koimari (Old Imari), and Ironabeshima (Colored Nabeshima) from Arita and Ninsei from Kyoto. The traditional beauty of Kokutani is still being passed down even now, 350 years after its origin.
|Well-established Kutani-yaki Store||
Motoyoshi, the eighth head of the Kaburaki family
Location & Address
- Postal code
- 1-3-16 Nagamachi Kanazawa Ishikawa
- Shop / Gallery
- 9:00 - 22:00 (7 days a week)
- Postal code
- 3-3-3 Azabujuban Minato-ku Tokyo
- Shop / Gallery
- 11:00 - 20:00 (Closed on Tuesdays)